Chicago, IL • We welcome journalists and photographers to come to the counter protest of the anti-choice group “March for Life” Chicago. The March for Abortion Rights is co-sponsored by Refuse Fascism-Chicago and Friends Who March.“March for Life” wants to march women right back to the Middle Ages
WHEN: Sunday, January 14, 2018, rally begins at 2:00 pm
WHERE: Federal Plaza, Adams & Dearborn, Chicago
Facebook event here
“March for Life” claims they are pro-life but they take no stance with regard to life outside the womb. They are pro-gun, pro-capital punishment and pro-war. They hold no similar rallies for victims of police brutality or when the children of Detroit are poisoned by a tainted water supply. They do not protest when President Trump threatens North Korea with nuclear annihilation. They aim to take away women’s constitutional right to reproductive choice and do away with abortion, contraception, and comprehensive sex education. And they do not care that when abortion was illegal, women died.
The March for Abortion Rights will voice its opposition to this right-wing group’s annual “March for Life.” Refuse Fascism recognizes that these anti-abortion, anti-women forces now have “friends” in the White House, with the Predator-in-Chief and Pence the Christian fascist. The Trump/Pence regime is taking steps to consolidate fascism: a society where the Handmaid’s Tale becomes reality. (See “What They Have Done Already,” below.)
RefuseFascism.org calls for driving out the Trump/Pence regime through mass nonviolent protest in the streets and public squares, day after day and night after night, across the US.
Activists from Refuse Fascism will be available for comments to the press.
Chicago Media Contact Tricey Morelli, 773.808.4577
WHAT THEY HAVE DONE ALREADY
- Promised to appoint Supreme Court justices who would overturn the Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion; appointed Neil Gorsuch.
- Signed a law giving states the option to deny funding for Planned Parenthood and other organizations that provide legal abortions.
- Slashed funding to combat HIV/AIDS in the world’s poorest countries by 17 percent.
- Drastically reduced funding to women’s health care globally that provided access to birth control.
- Revoked Executive Order 13673 that required that companies receiving large federal contracts demonstrate that they have complied with laws that prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender stereotyping, or gender identity.
- Took down the website of the Office of National AIDS Policy the day Trump took office, and there has been no replacement.
- Revoked federal guidelines that mandated transgender students have the right to use public restrooms that match their gender identity.
- In a lawsuit involving employment discrimination against LGBTQ people, the Justice Department filed legal papers arguing that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act banning sex discrimination does not protect workers from discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- Tweeted that transgender people will be banned from the U.S. military because they are a “burden.”